Friday 2 March 2012

Dydd Gŵyl Dewi Hapus!

Happy St David's Day!!

Today I celebrated my love of Wales and my Welsh last name by making Welsh rarebit for dinner and looking through the photographs of my last trip there.

Tintern Abbey



River Wye

Brecon Beacons

Welsh Rarebit is essentially cheese on toast with frills. There are lots of different recipes but I chose Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's. You make the rarebit by first combining butter and flour to create a roux. To this you add strong beer, then cheese (don't be shy with the cheese!). A sauce is formed and then seasoned with English mustard, Worcestershire sauce and pepper. Spoon over toasted granary bread and brown under the grill. Voila, Welsh rarebit. Very tasty but I now need to sleep off the cheese. Fingers crossed I will dream of dragons, valleys and Tintern Abbey.

No comments:

Post a Comment