Saturday 7 January 2012

10 Things I Want To Do Before I Die

As frequently occurs at this time of year, various lists do the rounds on blogs. I'm enthusiastically climbing onto this bandwagon (stolen from Alv).

No big, impressive entries here, just a few realistic dreams

1) Have a photograph featured in the annual Landscape Photographer of the Year award book.

2) Visit La Digue, Seychelles - many years ago I was given a calander featuring tropical island paradises for Christmas. My favourite photograph was the one of La Digue in the Seychelles. I reused that photograph for years, sticking the next year's calender over the top of the previous year's. I still think it's the most beautiful place I've ever seen and really hope I can visit it one day, to climb over the unique rocks and swim in the sea.



3) Own a dog - I hope I will one day have enough space for a dog. I'm fond of all dogs but have a soft spot for Border Collies, Cavalier King Charles Spaniels, Irish Setters and English Springer Spaniels


Border Collie

Cavalier King Charles Spaniel

Irish Setter

English Springer Spaniel


4) Design and plant my own garden, from scratch

5) Learn to draw. It's the one skill I've always envied in other people.When asked once what one skill I wish I had, I said to be able to draw. This led to many discussions with a number of people on whether drawing is a lucky talent or a learnable skill. This year I'm hoping to find out as I made it one of this year's resolutions:


6) Go diving - if I went diving in La Digue, I'd be able to cross two things off this list...

7) Hold a snake. Like many people, I'm fascinated by snakes but also very wary of them. It'd take a certain amount of courage for me to be able to hold one but I think I'd be able to do it

8) Make something I'm proud of - an embroidered cushion, knitted shawl, a painting. An heirloom that will be treasured and passed down through generations. Something that will stay long and be admired long after I've gone. I want to leave a little part of myself behind, a part of myself that is worth keeping. I think of all the beautiful things made by the people of Skogar:


9) Climb a (small!) mountain - I've no grand ambitions to climb Everest or K2, a small British mountain that could be climbed in a day would be perfect

10) Go on one of the world's great railway journeys-here are a few that have made my shortlist

Norway's Flamsbana through fjord country

Shinkansen: Tokyo-Kyoto (Japan)

The Ghan: Adelaide-Darwin (Australia)

The Rocky Mountaineer: Vancouver-Calgary,via Banff (Canada)

West Highland Railway: Glasgow-Fort William (Scotland)






2 comments:

  1. There are something special about trains.. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely. Can you just imagine sitting on one of the above trains, next to a huge window with a nice lunch in front of you and a pen and a notebook. God, I must do them, I must, I must

    ReplyDelete