Tuesday 25 October 2011

Fusion Knots

If you love Celtic art or knots then take a look at this wonderful website:

http://www.fusionknots.com/index.php

J.D Lenzen, the blog owner, is a knot expert and has a wonderful Youtube channel here called 'Tying it All Together"-in case you would like to try your hand at a few knots. Some of the knots are actually surprisngly simple but still look very effective. Others are fairly complex but I think could be mastered with a little practice and dexterity. An honoury member of the International Guild of Knot Tyers (yes, such a thing exists) he also has a book called Decorative Fusion Knots.

I think the knots are incredibly beautiful and could be utilised in many things-jewellery, furnishings, clothes and so on. I'll certainly be investing in some nice cord to try out a few of the Celtic knots.


Celtic Tree of Life Knot


Bumble Bee Knot

4 comments:

  1. A word of warning... once you start on the paracord you don't wanna stop. It is highly addictive, the knottying AND the paracord! I started tying his fusion knots with satin cord which can be very difficult as it is slippery and soft. I only started using paracord since middle of July and I used up 700 ft already. And then there is mini-cord... I love it! And JD's video tutorials are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mil-com-15m-Olive-Paracord-50ft/dp/B003F0W6VS/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1320782409&sr=8-4

    Like this?!
    Cord is on my list of items to purchase come payday. I didn't know what paracord was until you mentioned it-this green example looks beautiful. Really, really looking forward to trying knotting properly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know from fellow tyers that you can trust the bushcraft store, here the link to their ebay store:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280567728675&clk_rvr_id=281936217688
    Paracord comes in different qualities as it is produced by different companies to US Military specifications. There are some nice groups on Facebook who share their work there. Looking forward to seeing some of your creations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the tip-I've just bought some :D

    ReplyDelete