Sunday 15 January 2012

One Quiet Sunday=a Hand Crocheted Bowl

When I went to Iceland, we visited a town called Vik (a hamlet by English standards). One of the shops there had a splendid selection of Icelandic wools. Prices are very high in Iceland so I picked up a ball of marbled red wool without much hope-to be pleasantly surprised. Indeed, wool is one thing, perhaps the only thing actually, which I found to be cheaper than home in England. I bought three lovely fuzzy balls home with me.
The wool is a little on the rough and scratchy side so plans to make gloves were abandoned until I had a flash of inspiration. I decided the durability, though not suited to garments, would make a nice storage bowl.
I made the pattern (and actually bothered to transcribe for once!) as I crocheted along.
I crocheted a basic flat circle:
Chain 3, 6 dc in centre
2 dc in each (12)
*1 dc in next, 2 dc in next* to end
*1 dc in next 2, 2 dc in next* to end
*1 dc in next 3, 2 dc in next * to end
Continue pattern until *1 dc in next 14, 2 dc in next*
I changed to cream yarn to mark the end of the flat section (dc in back post) and then just crocheted the sides until I sadly ran out of yarn.
I worked the edge in cream as follows :
*dc in next 4 stitches, 6 ht in next stitch* to end.
It's the first time I've tried an edging so I was quite excited that it worked out ok.
I've transferred my collection of homeless ribbons into it.

2 comments:

  1. Vík? As in Vík on the south coast of Iceland, near Dyrhólaey? That's where I lived when I was working in Iceland! I'm fairly certain that I've even been in that shop you mention.

    The basket is really nice. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The very same place :) you have no idea how envious I am that you lived there. Dyrhólaey is my favourite place in Iceland. I will never forgot the rocks and the beautiful angry sea. I tried to take photos but I gave up trying to get any good ones. Some places refuse to be photographed. I wish I had my laptop so I could look through my Iceland photos. I'm feeling all nostalgic now.

      Thank you :)I have just one ball of Icelandic wool left and I want to make something special with it. So far inspiration has been elusive :/

      Delete