Wednesday 13 July 2011

A Rant - Using a Thesaurus Does Not Make You a Good Writer


Browsing through some of the blogs on here, I've noticed that a large number of people wrongly believe that the greater number of long, obscure words you use, the better your writing. I've had to wade through much dull verbosity just to reach the centre of the meaning in a handful of particularly guilty blogs. Are there bloggers that really open a thesaurus and deliberately pick the longest, most esoteric word thinking it improves their writing? Do they really believe it makes them sound more clever? I'm certainly no writer but I do recognise that being able to convey your thoughts with light, concise prose is a far greater skill than dusting off uncommon or archaic words for use.

(I feel better now)

No comments:

Post a Comment