Sunday 22 July 2012

St Merthiana's Church of Cornwall


I saw many beautiful things during my week in Cornwall. I saw windswept moors, twisted trees, pounding seas and vertiginous cliffs, but of all the things which I revisit the most in my mind it is the 'hidden' church of St Merthiana which C showed me. I write hidden as it is ensconced just above a little river valley with wooded sides which guard it.

I don't know if it was the silence, the translucent green light from the trees, the romantic setting or the unexpected evening sunshine but it left an indelible impression on me.

The church is 13th century, with some 19th century restoration. The grounds are a controlled wildlife area and the unkemptness adds to the atmosphere.

If you ever happen to be in the west of England, St Merthiana's Church is worth seeking out. It's about a mile inland from the habour village of Boscastle and apparently it makes for a beautiful, if exhilerating walk.

I said to C that if I ever got married I'd like to get married here and we joked about where all the guests would park, if they even found the church. I wasn't joking about the marriage part though.

Taken from the road.

The verdant cemetary on the valley side

No comments:

Post a Comment